“Paid links from off topic sites get devalued and flagged.” A common claim by otherwise savvy SEOs such as Ross Hudgens.
Ross, would you take three links from the Wall Street Journal if its reporters write about internet marketing?
Would you buy those links?
Both for the direct traffic (duh) and the SEO boost (duh).
The page is relevant, the readers are interested in the field… what more do you want?
Guys like Ross seem to think that if a site isn’t on your topic, then you don’t get any value. The reasoning is that their site is irrelevant, so the links are bogus.
That’s obviously wrong.
For starters, the Yahoo directory isn’t on any topic. Yet the links are good.
Second, even if the regular audience isn’t core/interested, the author obviously is.
Last I checked, the test for a link’s acceptability to Google was editorial discretion. Not readership discretion.
Lastly, sites are dynamic. You can start out writing about your mother and then end up talking about my mother. Then you no longer have a site. But I digress…
(Those of you who care about paid links and text links, check out my 101 tips on how to buy text link ads.
If that’s your bag, you’re probably also advanced enough for an advanced SEO book free chapter. Also, I personally liked Mike’s bit on buying links for third party sites.)
p.s. I know that the title should have been, ‘Can Count’ not ‘Do Count’, because links from offtopic sites in a sidebar aren’t getting you anywhere. So sometimes, paid links from offtopic sites don’t work. But “do” has more pop to it than the timid “can” … it’s a style issue.
photo credit: TheTruthAbout…
This post originally came from Michael Gray who is an SEO Consultant. Be sure not to miss the Thesis WordPress Theme review.
You’re All Wrong! Paid Links From Offtopic Sites Do Count
- Google Adds Paid Links Reporting Google added a new section to webmaster central today entitled…
- Paid Links, Pubcon and Matt Cutts I went to two sessions today where Matt Cutts was…
- Seth Is Wrong On Paid vs Free Journalism I’ve been writing about thinking critically recently and the Malcolm…
- Hey Matt Cutts Be Fair if You Are Going After Paid Links Really I wasn’t going to post this but since Matt…
- Get Paid Links from the US Olympic Team So hey Google care to explain why this isn’t a…
Michael Gray – Graywolf’s SEO Blog
- Text Link Ads – New customers can get 0 in free text links.
- CrazyEgg.com – Supplement your analytics with action information from click tracking heat maps.
- BOTW.org – Get a premier listing in the internet’s oldest directory.
- Ezilon.com Regional Directory – Check to see if your website is listed!
- Page1Hosting – Class C IP Hosting starting at .99.
- Directory Journal – List your website in our growing web directory today.
- Content Customs – Unique and high quality SEO writing services, providing webmasters with hundreds of SEO articles per week
- Glass Whiteboards – For a professional durable white board with no ghosting, streaking or marker stains, see my Glass Whiteboard Review
- Need an SEO Audit for your website, look at my SEO Consulting Services
- KnowEm – Protect your brand, product or company name with a continually growing list of social media sites.
- Scribe SEO Review find out how to better optimize your wordpress posts.
- TigerTech – Great Web Hosting service at a great price.